Monday, March 23, 2015

Shadows of Self




Shadows of self, those unsightly parts
of self-made lies and broken hearts
you linger behind me,
you stand right beside me,
you rattle my brain with poisonous darts.
You cause me to doubt; you haunt all my dreams;
you make me so crazy; you make my soul scream.
You feed all my fears like a bear in a cage
baiting my anger, fueling my rage.

You taunt me with illusory treasures of gold,
You tease me with pleasures of beauty untold.
As I raise my hand, while I reach for my share,
I’m shackled by shadows that always are there.
What will drive these shadows away?
What will keep the Hell Hounds at bay?
What will banish these demons of mine?
What will give me peace sublime?
Oh shadows of doubt, of loathing despair,
why do you haunt me, why do you care
to keep me down and low and dirty
to snipe my plans, feeling so unworthy?
What will disperse these shadows I have?
What keeps me from going stark raving mad?
Do shadows disperse when Faith is employed?
Do I dare to hope to be overjoyed!?
Will I seize on a dream that I once thought was lost?
Will I do what I love no matter the cost?

Will I rise to heed my heart when it’s calling?
Will I see what I do that’s so very appalling?
What will I choose when the choices present?
Do I dare declare my soul’s intent?
If I followed my dreams, if I stood in my power,
If I claimed all of that, would you follow or cower?
Face your fears, your shadows, your demons,
Learn who you are and what is so needed
to heal what is shattered and broken and buried,
to shrug off all those burdens you’ve carried.

No comments:

Post a Comment